Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Delivery

Noah was born on Friday, November 10, 2011.  It was a pretty uneventful labor with no real complications.  I had to be induced because I was 6 days over my due date and my fluid levels were really low.  All of my ultrasounds had looked great and I had even had a few extra ultrasounds done because we were chosen for a new study where they were just monitoring my pregnancy and stats.  I had a touch of morning sickness, no cravings that I can recall, I only lost my cookies a few times while flying on an airplane.  I did however have a scare when I was 6 weeks pregnant where I thought I had lost the baby.  However, everything looked okay and the bleeding only lasted a few hours.  Nobody was really sure what it was but tossed out the possibility of maybe a bursting cyst.  The full nine months went smooth and my husband and I went through all of the first time parent motions getting things ready.  My due date came and went and 6 days later were were sent to Labor and Delivery to be induced.  I went natural for most of the labor but no matter how much medication they gave me to start my induction my body would just not dilate.  At that point I opted for an epidural and both my husband and I fell asleep within minutes.  Two hours later the nurse came in, woke me up because my monitor had fallen off my belly, decided to do a quick check, and Noah came out 15 minutes and three pushes later.  He was stuck in my pelvis and the chord was wrapped around his neck twice.  He was born not breathing with an Apgar of 3.  I started to panic.  Literally a few minutes later and he was crying with a new Apgar of 8.  All was good.  He was breathing and beautiful with a full head of dark hair.  He did experience some bruising on the left side of his face from being stuck in my pelvis but we were told not to worry.  The next day we kept calling him our little Pirate because he would not open his left eye.  Finally when his pediatrician came to do the initial evaluation we asked him to check out his eye.  He did so and told us that his left eye was not responding to the light and called in an appointment for us to see a pediatric ophthalmologist that Monday up at Primary Children's Medical Center (PCMC) in Utah.  We had no idea at that point just how many visits to PCMC we would eventually have.....and this is where Noah's Noggin story begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment